Looking for a taste of summer in the dead of winter? This healthy berry crumble does the trick. Crumbles are nice because they are flexible and easy. It’s less about baking chemistry and more about combining tasty things together and throwing them in the oven. They’re a dessert (and a delicious one at that) but they need way less added sugar than your average dessert calls for. Our recipe probably has about half the sugar of your typical crumble and definitely tastes sweet enough! We’re using coconut sugar, which is naturally low glycemic (but can be subbed out for any sugar you have on hand if need be), and mashed banana to add even more natural sweetness. We used a 9”x9” pie pan for this recipe. You can use fresh or frozen berries for this recipe. We hope this crumble sweetens (and brightens) up your day!
Now, onto the recipe!
- BERRY MIXTURE INGREDIENTS:
- 4 cups berries (we did 2 cups blueberries and 2 cups raspberries).
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- ¼ cup oats
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- TOPPING INGREDIENTS:
- 1.5 cups oats
- ½ cup mashed banana
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Line your baking dish with parchment paper if you want it to be easy to clean ☺
- Combine berries with other mixture ingredients in a bowl and mix well
- Spread berry mixture evenly over the bottom of the dish
- Mash your banana and add the coconut sugar and sea salt and mix
- Add the oats to your mixture and mix
- Spread evenly on top of your berry mixture
- Bake for 50-60 minutes until top is golden and berries are bubbling a little.
We hope this recipe brings you a much needed little taste of summer in the wintertime! In case you wanted to add some chocolate to your crumble recipe… yes, we tasted it and you can totally add some pieces of brownie to your crumble if you just can’t handle dessert without chocolate.