These are amazing.
Every day for a month amazing.
Actually…maybe even breakfast for dinner amazing. I love how the apple is equally dispersed throughout the pancakes. And the batter is moist, tastes like soft apple cake…or fritter. Yum.
In most restaurants, apple pancakes are just plain pancakes covered in gooey sugary apple. Not these! Built-in apple is the way to go. And with the chia seeds, and high quality grains, these will make you feel GOOD. As all food should.
These were loosely inspired by this recipe, by Chocolate Covered Katie. I de-veganized them, and added a little superfood with some chia.
I liked these so much that I made them twice in a row…then I made a double batch on the weekend so we could eat it for easy breakfasts on weekdays. Hey, I’d never judge you for eating pancakes everyday! Well, not if they’re healthy.
- ⅔ cup spelt flour
- 6T large flake oats
- 1 egg
- 1T melted coconut oil (+extra for pan)
- 1 medium apple, diced
- 2t Cinnamon
- 1t baking powder
- 2t vanilla
- ⅔ cup milk (I used almond)
- 2T chia seeds (whole)
- pinch salt
- equal parts maple syrup and flax oil
- optional: add a little vanilla protein powder too
- preheat your pan to medium, and melt a little coconut oil in it
- whisk together egg, vanilla, coconut oil and milk
- fold in flour, oats, baking powder, cinnamon and salt
- fold in chia seeds and apple
- cook ¼c scoops of batter. it's thick so it's best to flatten it a bit after you put it on the pan
- flip when edges start to look a little firm
- stir together syrup ingredients
I’m also thinking that maybe a silver-dollar version would be a delicious dessert…if crepes are dessert, why not pancakes?
What’s your favorite kind of pancake?