Lemony goodness. I had a request from Mara a little while back for a lemon recipe. The funny thing is, I’ve made some, but I seem to have bad luck–I forget to write down the baking time, or I misplace the entire recipe that I wrote. Yup. I even misplaced the recipe for this insane lemon poppy seed ricotta cake. When life gives me lemons I make awesome stuff, and then life takes away the lemon recipe. But not this time! I think I’ll have to attempt to recreate this cake again…but for now, I give you TOTALLY GUILT-FREE LEMON SQUARES!
Creamy, delicious, smooth, and sugar-free. I have to warn you that some people who tasted these detected the stevia, and some didn’t. So it’s up to your tastebuds and how you feel about stevia. You could definitely experiment with another sweetener.
This crust is pretty exciting. I used goji berries in ! Lemon is so tangy already, that I’m not sure you can really taste them..but they ad some antioxidant punch, and I think they do add a little zing. That said, if you don’t have any goji berries on hand, I’m sure could replace them with more flax seeds, or even flour.
Why lemon squares do your body good:
- lemons are cleansing for you body, and alkalinizing (we want that)
- the crust is full of super awesome fiber
- brain food ingredients! (in chia and flax seeds)
- source or protein!
These would actually be perfect to eat after a workout. You actually need protein AND carbs after a workout. The carbs replenish you glycogen stores.
These do have a few fancy nutritionist style ingredients. Sorry! This is one of those recipes where I had a few interesting ingredients on hand that I wanted to experiment with. If you don’t have these in your pantry, you can probably pick them up at a health food store.
I don’t love jello. I used coconut flour in these to give them a more smooth creamy, as opposed to overly gelatinous texture.
Now the colour is subtle. You’ll notice that I used a pinch of turmeric to up the colour. I think you could add more without tasting it, but I was conservative.
- ⅓ cup goji berries, ground in a coffee grinder
- 1 and ¼ cups flour (I used spelt)
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 1 T stevia powder
- ½ cup ground flax seeds
- ⅓c chia seeds
- 3T agar powder (vegetarian gelatin)
- 1 and ⅓ cups water
- ⅔ cup fresh lemon juice
- 3T arrowroot powder
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 2 scoops vanilla whey protein powder
- optional: pinch turmeric for colour
- ½ cup almond milk
- 3T stevia powder
- Mix all dry crust ingredients, and combine well with coconut oil. Press into a 9x13 inch pyrex or other pan. Poke a few holes with a fork.
- Bake for 5 minutes at 350, until crust is just barely golden. Set aside
- In a pot, combine water and agar powder, and heat on low/medium. Cook about 5 minutes, until it gets a nice gooeyness to it. Then stir in lemon juice and almond milk.
- Remove from heat and fold in all other ingredients.
- Pour over crust, and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Whisk in all other ingredients.
What lemony recipe would you like to see next? I think I need to recreate this craziness. I don’t remember if I used artificial colour in this one. Sadly, I think it’s likely.
I do love lemon poppyseed!