I think I forgot about caesar salads. Were they too simple? Too classic? But since I remembered them a couple of weeks ago, I’ve been on a major caesar salad kick. Of course, I had to take my own spin on it. This one’s got an awesome homemade dressing, and all the ingredients are kicked up a notch.
I’ve been making this for lunch and eating it a least a few times a week.
Nope, I’m not sick of it yet!
Part of why this caesar works so well as a make-ahead meal is that the main veg is kale, which is so hearty that it’s okay to sit in dressing for a day or two–I actually find it’s better once it soaks it up a little. Kale is super nutrient-dense!
Instead of regular bacon, I’ve used tempeh bacon here. I swear, it’s one of my favorite things. Vegetarian or not, you should make this stuff.
My salad is topped with garlic shrimp, and a little shaved parmesan. I’ve also added tomato.
Now, onto the recipe!
- •2 bunches kale, washed a de-ribbed
- •2 hearts of romaine
- •15-20 shrimp (depending on size—enough for a serving size the size of your palm, x4)
- •1 T coconut oil
- •2 cloves garlic, minced
- -1 or 2 tomatoes, cut into bite sized pieces
- -parmesan cheese to taste
- • 1 cup full fat organic greek yogurt
- • 1 head of garlic, roasted and peeled
- • 3 T olive oil
- • 2 T worchesterchire sauce
- • 1.5 T capers
- • 3 T lemon juice
- • black pepper to taste
- TEMPEH BACON (see link in post).
- • defrost your shrimp in cold water, and peel.
- • Sautee shrimp in coconut oil with minced garlic
- • Puree all dressing ingredients in a blender or magic bullet
- • After washing and de-ribbing your kale, chop your kale and romaine
- • In a large bowl, massage your dressing into the salad to ensure the kale absorbs the dressing.
- • Top with shrimp, tomatoes, parmesan and tempeh bacon to serve.
What’s your favorite salad?