The strawberry series continues! I really did enjoy buying an absurd amount of berries. It inspired a lot of recipes!
This is super simple and delicious! Also, you can eat it for breakfast…and if you’re super busy, you can make a bunch, freeze it, and defrost a serving in the fridge the night before for breakfast (that’s how my life works, at least!). Put some ice cream on top and it’s delish as well.
It’s a great source of vitamin C, fibre, and it’s also pretty low sugar for a dessert (and the sugar used is low-glycemic). This will make you feel great!
I baked this is 4 smaller pyrexes, but you could definitely make a bigger one (just keep your eye on the time, you may need more).
- 3 cups chopped rhubarb
- 5 cups strawberries, hulled and sliced
- juice 1 lemon
- 1 T vanilla
- 1 cup oats (I used gluten-free large flake)
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ½ cup buckwheat flour
- ½ t salt
- ½ cup coconut oil (soft)
- 1 T cinnamon
- Clean and prep your fruit.
- Mix vanilla and lemon juice, and stir fruit in the mixture.
- Spread mixture evenly in some (or one) oven safe containers, greased or parchment lined for easier access (and less dessert waste!)
- In a separate bowl, stir together flour, oats and sugar, and then add in melted coconut oil, and mix till crumbly texture occurs.
- Spread on top of fruit.
- Bake at 375 for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Allow to cool at least 5 minutes before serving.